When transforming legacy applications, TSRI has long used the ability to dump our entire in-memory model into a persistent XML format--a Persistent Object Base (POB). This XML format is extremely lightweight and self-defining, and contains everything our toolset, JANUS Studio®, needs in order to be paused and restarted.
As a result, the POB also contains everything a customer with a model-driven technology needs in order to access JANUS Studio® models, manipulate them, and then provide them back to JANUS Studio® where they can be reprinted into code. The format is extremely simple and easy to read.
Fundamentally, this flexibility allows your organization to tap into the application model at any point during a documentation, transformation, or refactoring project. The process looks like this:
- TSRI will pause code documentation, transformation, and refactoring in JANUS Studio®;
- TSRI will dump the current in-memory model to the POB;
- Your organization can read this POB, map it into your internal models, manipulate the model as needed, and write it back to the POB;
- JANUS Studio® can read the new POB;
- TSRI continues with the remaining project scope.